If you’re an SME looking to boost your business, you’ll soon have much more control over how you spend your training budget.

As an SME, you don't pay the apprenticeship levy. From January 2020 the apprenticeship service is being made available to SMEs, so you’ll be able to have greater control over who you choose for your apprenticeship training. For the first time, as a non-levy employer, you'll be able to manage your training through a digital portal – the Apprenticeship Service.

Additional funding for apprenticeship standards.

As non-levy payers are transitioned to the Apprenticeship Service, the Government has announced additional funding will be made available for up to 15,000 new nationwide starts between January and March 2020. The new changes make it more accessible than ever to recruit apprentices or upskill existing employees. However, the additional budget can only be used to fund the new, employer-designed apprenticeship standards (not existing apprenticeship frameworks).

How to set up an Apprenticeship Service account

With an Apprenticeship Service account, you'll be able to get funding to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment costs. You can also manage training providers, search for apprenticeships that match your business needs and save them for later browsing.

Before you set up your account you’ll need;

  • Your organisation’s Government Gateway user ID and password or HMRC Accounts Office Payroll number.
  • You will need to register for HMRC’s online services if you don’t already have Government Gateway credentials.
  • You’ll need the PM Training UKPRN number (10005250) to set up Project Management (Staffordshire) Limited as your training provider.
  • You can register for an apprenticeship service account here

As a non-levy employer, the cost of training and assessing apprentices is shared with the Government. This is called ‘co-investment’. Therefore, you pay 5% of the training costs with the remaining 95% paid for by the Government. 

Don't forget, if you have 50 or less employees and recruit a 16-18 year old apprentice, this will still be fully funded by the Government. 

If you’re an SME looking to access apprenticeship training for your business, we can talk you through the process.

Contact a member of our Partnerships team on 01782 279121


Even Lead In Image


Book to attend our next open event and discover why we are the place to go for apprenticeships


1 Min

Apprenticeship Levy Case Study: Klarius

Clearing up the apprenticeship levy confusion.

2 Mins

Changing delivery to train the next generation of ...

With more young people choosing different routes after leaving school to continue their education, the amount of choice available is staggering. ...

2 Mins

Apprenticeship levy funding changes: what ...

From April 1, 2019, the maximum amount of apprenticeship levy which you can pass to your supply chain is set to increase from 10% to 25%. But ...

1 Min

Are you getting the most from the apprenticeship ...

If your business has a wage bill over £3 million then you’ll have been paying the apprenticeship levy since April 2017. However, there is a ...

2 Mins

The route to success through apprenticeships at ...

Apprenticeships are becoming a popular route into employment for school leavers and more experienced learners alike. PM Training in ...

3 Mins

Everything You Need to Know About Apprenticeships ...

Apprenticeships have become increasingly popular across a variety of different industries. More people are choosing to forego traditional ...